SSKI is a saturated solution of potassium iodide. In this form, potassium iodide can be administered through a solution, as opposed to tablet form. (The tablet form is provided during emergencies involving radiation exposure.) Two standard drops of SSKI contain about the same amount of iodine as a medicinal tablet of 130mg.
SSKI should not be taken as a dietary supplement. The amount required would be too high for daily supplementation. It does provide many health benefits when needed. Some of these include…
A Powerful Expectorant
For individuals suffering from respiratory conditions, SSKI can increase the water content of mucus. This makes it easier to break up and expel mucus that would otherwise restrict breathing.
In Emergency Situations for Hyperthyroidism
SSKI will be given to an individual suffering from a Thyroid Storm. This occurs when the thyroid releases excessive amounts of the hormone, thyroxine. The application of the potassium iodide stops the secretion of this hormone.
People have used potassium iodide for centuries to address a variety of skin disorders and infections. Current research supports this, noting that SSKI may be the only choice for infectious and redness-related skin disorders after other approaches have failed. 
For Protection from Radiation
Potassium iodide can provide immediate protection from a radioactive event. Since the thyroid cannot distinguish between stable and radioactive iodine, taking SSKI (or a potassium iodide tablet) can fill the thyroid with stable iodine. This disallows the thyroid from absorbing the radioactive iodine.  
As a Surgical Preparation
SSKI has been used to reduce blood flow and blood loss during thyroid surgery. This continues as a standard practice, however, some studies have noted this may not be necessary for all patients. 
To Balance Fungal Overgrowth
Fungus like Sporothrix schenckii can be effectively addressed with saturated solutions of potassium iodide. Researchers have noted both the success and low cost of this option versus others. 
As a Remedy for Iodine Deficiency
Iodine deficiency can lead to metabolic imbalances and problems with neural development in children. Recent research has shown fetuses that suffer even mild iodine deficiency during pregnancy demonstrate reduced cognitive function that does not improve with iodine therapy through childhood. 
Iodine deficiency is a worldwide problem, and SSKI can help iodine deficiency and revitalize iodine levels. It can also offer an effective and low cost option for a wide range of medical conditions.
Have you used SSKI? Please leave a comment and share your experience with us.
- Costa RO, Macedo PM, Carvalhal A, Bernardes-Engemann AR. Use of potassium iodide in Dermatology: updates on an old drug. An Bras Dermatol. 2013 Jun;88(3). pii: S0365-05962013000300396. doi: 10.1590/abd1806-4841.20132377.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Potassium Iodide (KI). (last accessed 2013-08-02)
- Reiners C, Schneider R. Potassium iodide (KI) to block the thyroid from exposure to I-131: current questions and answers to be discussed. Radiat Environ Biophys. 2013 May;52(2):189-93. doi: 10.1007/s00411-013-0462-0. Epub 2013 Mar 9.
- Shinall MC Jr, Broome JT, Baker A, Solorzano CC. Is Potassium Iodide Solution Necessary Before Total Thyroidectomy for Graves Disease? Ann Surg Oncol. 2013 Jul 12.
- Xue SL, Li L. Oral potassium iodide for the treatment of sporotrichosis. Mycopathologia. 2009 Jun;167(6):355-6. doi: 10.1007/s11046-008-9178-0. Epub 2009 Jan 8.
- Hynes KL, Otahal P, Hay I, Burgess JR. Mild iodine deficiency during pregnancy is associated with reduced educational outcomes in the offspring: 9-year follow-up of the gestational iodine cohort. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2013 May;98(5):1954-62. doi: 10.1210/jc.2012-4249. Epub 2013 Apr 30.
†Results may vary. Information and statements made are for education purposes and are not intended to replace the advice of your doctor. Global Healing Center does not dispense medical advice, prescribe, or diagnose illness. The views and nutritional advice expressed by Global Healing Center are not intended to be a substitute for conventional medical service. If you have a severe medical condition or health concern, see your physician.