Green coffee bean extract, produced from the green beans of the Arabica plant, is a relatively new ingredient to weight loss products that has been getting strong attention; even being featured on the Dr. Oz program. This attention is not unfounded. Green coffee bean extract offers a number of health benefits, in particular as a weight loss aid.
How Does Green Coffee Bean Work?
Green coffee bean contains polyphenols, including chlorogenic acids, which, like grape seed extract and green tea, have antioxidants that help the body neutralize harmful free radicals. Research has also shown that the chlorogenic acid in green coffee bean promotes normal blood pressure.[1, 2, 3]
Unlike coffee beverages, green coffee bean extract is low in caffeine and is not a stimulant. Chlorogenic acids are also destroyed when coffee beans are roasted and their benefits are not available in coffee drinks.
Chlorogenic acids support the weight loss benefits of green coffee bean in a couple of different ways. First, it promotes balanced blood sugar by inhibiting the release of glucose within the body. Secondly, chlorogenic acids boost the metabolic output of the liver, which burns fat. This dual mechanism works to support lean body mass by hindering the absorption of fat and weight gain.
Research Indicates Weight Loss Benefits of Green Coffee Bean
In 2006, a study published in BMC Complementary and Alternative Medicine examined the inhibition of fat accumulation and weight gain in mice given green coffee bean extract. Researchers noted that the mice had reduced visceral fat content and body weight. It was concluded that green coffee bean extract may be effective against weight gain and fat accumulation by disrupting fat absorption and stimulating fat metabolism in the liver.
In 2011, Gastroenterology Research and Practice published a meta-analysis of 5 studies, which had examined green coffee bean extract as a weight loss supplement. Although more research is appropriate, the aggregate data showed a significant difference in body weight in the subjects of the studies who had supplemented with GCE compared with placebo. That evidence indicates that GCE can promote weight loss.
How to Find a Green Coffee Supplement
When it comes to losing weight, proper diet and exercise are paramount to success. However, research shows that adding a supplement like green coffee bean extract can increase weight loss potential, in addition to the antioxidant benefit. As with all supplements, for green coffee bean to be effective, it must be a pure, organic, 100% high-grade coffee bean extract supplement manufactured in the US with laboratory tests certifying the product’s potency and quality. For a green coffee supplement with stellar reviews made by a reputable, trusted company, I recommend Slimirex®. I won’t tell you that it’s a miracle weight loss formula, but when combined with diet, rest, and exercise, it can help control appetite and give your metabolism that extra little boost to achieve maximum results.
- Suzuki A, et al. Green coffee bean extract and its metabolites have a hypotensive effect in spontaneously hypertensive rats. Hypertens Res. 2002 Jan;25(1):99-107.
- Ochiai R, et al. Green coffee bean extract improves human vasoreactivity. Hypertens Res. 2004 Oct;27(10):731-7.
- Watanabe T, et al. The blood pressure-lowering effect and safety of chlorogenic acid from green coffee bean extract in essential hypertension. Clin Exp Hypertens. 2006 Jul;28(5):439-49.
- Shimoda H, et al. Inhibitory effect of green coffee bean extract on fat accumulation and body weight gain in mice. BMC Complement Altern Med. 2006 Mar 17;6:9.
- Onakpoya I, et al. The use of green coffee extract as a weight loss supplement: a systematic review and meta-analysis of randomised clinical trials. Gastroenterol Res Pract. 2011;2011. doi:pii: 382852. 10.1155/2011/382852. Epub 2010 Aug 31.
†Results may vary. Information and statements made are for education purposes and are not intended to replace the advice of your doctor. If you have a severe medical condition or health concern, see your physician.