Hormone imbalance is a common health for many women today. Exposure to toxins that exhibit estrogen-like effects – and there are plenty – can throw a woman's hormone production off kilter. Common symptoms include fatigue, slowed metabolism, low libido, and brain fog. Herbalists and believers in traditional medicines have long used Tongkat ali, commonly known as Longjack, to combat these issues and modern research has confirmed its status as a health-supporting herb with hormone balancing benefits.  
Benefits of Tongkat Ali
Used for centuries to support female health, Tongkat ali still remains foreign to most people. Fortunately, a great deal of research is shedding new light onto the herb’s benefits, specifically for women. Here are just a few benefits of Tongkat ali for women's health:
1. Helps Fight Unwanted Weight Gain
Hormones dictate metabolism and an imbalance almost always leads to unwanted weight gain. Many of us may have come to accept that a certain level of weight gain and fatigue is a normal part of aging; however, this doesn't have to be the case. Often, the reason we are gaining weight is simply because we are being exposed to environmental toxins that are messing with our natural hormonal equilibrium. Tongkat ali may aid in reducing weight gain by stabilizing hormones, and this applies to both males and females.
2. Boosts Energy
When the body isn't producing adequate hormones, or when its production has gone haywire, it can often result in low energy levels. Because Tongkat is an excellent tool for balancing hormones, it has the additional effect of balancing energy and metabolism. The increased energy may also be helpful for supporting endurance during exercise, linking Tongkat back to weight loss and maintenance.
3. Natural Libido Support
No matter your gender, a testosterone boost can be a helpful way for increasing sexual flame and desire. Folklore says that Tongkat ali is helpful for increasing the sensitivity of a woman's erogenous zones, further increasing its libido-boosting qualities. While research has shown that the herb boosts libido in male rats,  researchers believe these effects can also be replicated in females.
4. Promotes Skeletal Health
Low testosterone levels increases one's chances of developing osteoporosis, a debilitating disease characterized by weak, fragile bones. While calcium, vitamin D, and magnesium all play a role in bone health, maintaining hormonal balance is key for regulating the health of the entire body. Since Tongkat encourages serum concentration of testosterone, it is believed that the herb may be a useful adjunct toward improving and maintaining superior bone health. 
5. Mood Support
Research has shown that Tongkat ali reduces cortisol, our main stress hormone. Cortisol is produced in response to stress and is also one of the main contributors to stress-related weight gain. In clinical trials, Tongkat reduces tension, anger, and confusion. The herb may also reduce the effects of everyday stress associated with diet, sleep loss, and even exercise.  Improved memory is also associated with Tongkat ali supplementation.
6. Encourages Normal Blood Sugar
Maintaining proper blood sugar levels through diet and exercise is one of the best defenses against type II diabetes. Research has confirmed that Tongkat ali may contribute to this effort.  Reducing refined carbohydrates in the diet, increasing exercise, getting quality sleep, and sunlight exposure are also extremely helpful ways to maintain balanced blood sugar levels.
Using Tongkat Ali
As a supplement, Tongkat ali is typically taken in extract form. Some supplements, such as Female Fuzion®, combine Tongkat ali with various other natural herbs to offer a comprehensive spectrum of benefits.
Have you tried Tongkat ali? How was your experience? Please leave a comment and share your thoughts with us!
Watch an In-Depth Video on How to Balance Your Hormones Naturally
Length: 86 minutes
- Shuid AN1, El-arabi E, Effendy NM, Razak HS, Muhammad N, Mohamed N, Soelaiman IN. Eurycoma longifolia upregulates osteoprotegerin gene expression in androgen- deficient osteoporosis rat model. BMC Complement Altern Med. 2012 Sep 12;12:152. doi: 10.1186/1472-6882-12-152.
- Henkel RR1, Wang R, Bassett SH, Chen T, Liu N, Zhu Y, Tambi MI. Tongkat Ali as a potential herbal supplement for physically active male and female seniors--a pilot study. Phytother Res. 2014 Apr;28(4):544-50. doi: 10.1002/ptr.5017. Epub 2013 Jun 11.
- Ang HH, Sim MK. Eurycoma longifolia Jack enhances libido in sexually experienced male rats. Experimental Animals. 1997 October;46(4):287-90.
- Tambi MI, Imran MK, Henkel RR. Standardised water-soluble extract of Eurycoma longifolia, Tongkat ali, as testosterone booster for managing men with late-onset hypogonadism. Andrologia. 2012 May;44 Suppl 1:226-30. doi: 10.1111/j.1439-0272.2011.01168.x.
- Talbott SM1, Talbott JA, George A, Pugh M. Effect of Tongkat Ali on stress hormones and psychological mood state in moderately stressed subjects. J Int Soc Sports Nutr. 2013 May 26;10(1):28. doi: 10.1186/1550-2783-10-28.
- Bhat R1, Karim AA. Tongkat Ali (Eurycoma longifolia Jack): a review on its ethnobotany and pharmacological importance. Fitoterapia. 2010 Oct;81(7):669-79. doi: 10.1016/j.fitote.2010.04.006.
†Results may vary. Information and statements made are for education purposes and are not intended to replace the advice of your doctor. If you have a severe medical condition or health concern, see your physician.