Vegan Pecan Pie Recipe
- Prep time: 40 minutes
- Cook time: 60 minutes
- Total time: 1 hour 40 minutes
- Serves: 8
For this recipe, use organic ingredients wherever possible.
Vegan Pie Crust
- 1 ¼ cups blanched almond flour
- ½ tsp Himalayan Crystal Salt
- 3 Tbsp coconut oil, chilled
- 5 Tbsp organic palm shortening, chilled
- 3-5 Tbsp ice water
Vegan Pecan Pie Filling
- 1.5 cups pecan halves (toasted)
- 10 saltines, crumbled
- ½ cups water
- 1 ½ Tbsp coconut oil
- 1¼ c organic coconut palm sugar
- ¼ c raw organic honey (or maple syrup, if you prefer)
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 3 Tbsp applesauce or pumpkin puree
- 3 Tbsp tapioca starch
Step 1: Toast the Pecans
Start with this step. You can actually toast your pecans a day or two before you make the actual pie, but this depends on your preference. To complete this step, follow the easy instructions below:
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Bake for 8 minutes.
- Remove and cool.
Step 2: Bake Your CrustOne of the most important parts of serving perfect pecan pie for your holiday gathering is baking a great crust. Here's how:
- Preheat your oven to 425°F.
- In a bowl, sift together the flour and salt.
- Using a pastry cutter or two knives, cut in shortening and butter until about pea-sized.
- Sprinkle with 3 Tbsp ice water. Stir with a fork until dough comes together in a ball. Add more ice water as needed, but no more than 5 Tbsp. Remember, adding too much water will make the dough sticky and tough!
- Roll out dough on a lightly floured surface. You can also place it between 2 sheets of wax paper.
- Transfer to 9" pie plate. Trim and shape edges as desired.
- Prick crust with a fork, line the pie shell with parchment paper and fill with pie weights or dried beans. Bake for 5 minutes.
- Remove pie plate from oven and set aside to cool.
- Reduce oven temperature to 325°F.
Step 3: Make the FillingNow that your kitchen is smelling gloriously similar to that excellent vegan pie crust you’ve just pulled from the oven, let’s move on to making a filling worthy of completing your pie:
- In a small bowl, stir together crackers and water.
- Let water absorb, then put mixture in a food processor with coconut oil, coconut sugar, honey, vanilla, applesauce or pumpkin puree, and starch.
- Mix until smooth.
- Pour mixture into saucepan. Bring to a boil over high heat, stirring constantly.
- When mixture boils, lower heat slightly and let cook for 2 more minutes. Continue stirring to make sure nothing burns to the bottom of the pan.
- Fold in your pecans.
Step 4: Bringing it all TogetherNow we’re just about ready to bake! All that’s left is to remove the pie weights from the crust and pour in the delicious filling. Once you’ve poured your filling into your crust, place in the oven and bake for 50 minutes. Once that time has passed, allow the pie to cool fully. Then, the best part... Slice and serve!
†Results may vary. Information and statements made are for education purposes and are not intended to replace the advice of your doctor. Global Healing Center does not dispense medical advice, prescribe, or diagnose illness. The views and nutritional advice expressed by Global Healing Center are not intended to be a substitute for conventional medical service. If you have a severe medical condition or health concern, see your physician.