Benefits of Muira Puama for WomenNow before we get too deep into the benefits of Muira Puama for females, men should know that the ancient plant does benefit both genders. But, today we're going to talk about how it benefits women. So, let's explore these four benefits of Muira puama for female health.
1. Stimulates Libido
One of the main qualities of Muira Puama that attracted early American explorers was its reputation as a strong aphrodisiac. A study investigating its libido-boosting potential evaluated 202 healthy women with low sex drives. After one month of supplementation with Muira Puama, 65% reported improvements in desire and sexual satisfaction. The women in the study also experienced more fantasies and increased orgasm intensity. 
2. Boosts Physical PerformanceMen and women of all ages have historically turned to herbs to boost physical performance, and Muira Puama is no exception. In Brazil, the herb is considered a natural tonic for physical and athletic performance and is often used to fight fatigue.  What's the explanation? Studies have found that Muira Puama may act as a mild stimulant.
3. It's Good Brain Food
Physical abilities and a strong libido are of little value without a strong, sound mind. Animal models have shown that Muira extract may support cognitive function, often in as little as two weeks. 
4. Promotes a Healthy Stress Response
Working mothers who have the responsibility of balancing home life with work life are usually under constant stress. The effects of stress can be detrimental to human health. Many studies show that chronic, unmanaged stress can negatively affect the immune system, increase blood sugar and insulin levels. Muira may be helpful for reducing anxiety, something that can significantly decrease emotional and mental stress. 
Supplementing With Muira PuamaHistorically, Muira Puama was simmered in a large pot of water and consumed as a tea. Some evidence suggests, however, that the active components in Muira Puama that are responsible for the plant's benefits may be water insoluble. Taking a high-quality extract in a tincture or capsule form may be the best way to receive its valuable nutrients.
Have you supplemented with Muira Puama? What results have you noticed? Share your experience with us in the comments!
- Waynberg J1, Brewer S. Effects of Herbal vX on libido and sexual activity in premenopausal and postmenopausal women. Adv Ther. 2000 Sep-Oct;17(5):255-62.
- Mendes FR1, Carlini EA. Brazilian plants as possible adaptogens: an ethnopharmacological survey of books edited in Brazil. J Ethnopharmacol. 2007 Feb 12;109(3):493-500.
- Figueiró M1, Ilha J, Linck VM, Herrmann AP, Nardin P, Menezes CB, Achaval M, Goncalves CA, Porciuncula LO, Nunes DS, Elisabetsky E. The Amazonian herbal Marapuama attenuates cognitive impairment and neuroglial degeneration in a mouse Alzheimer model. Phytomedicine. 2011 Feb 15;18(4):327-33. doi: 10.1016/j.phymed.2010.07.013.
- Piato AL1, Detanico BC, Linck VM, Herrmann AP, Nunes DS, Elisabetsky E. Anti-stress effects of the "tonic"Ptychopetalum olacoides (Marapuama) in mice. Phytomedicine. 2010 Mar;17(3-4):248-53. doi: 10.1016/j.phymed.2009.07.001.
- Ruitenberg A, Ott A, van Swieten JC, Hofman A, Breteler MM. Incidence of dementia: does gender make a difference? Neurobiology of Aging. 2001 July-August;22(4):575-80.
†Results may vary. Information and statements made are for education purposes and are not intended to replace the advice of your doctor. Global Healing Center does not dispense medical advice, prescribe, or diagnose illness. The views and nutritional advice expressed by Global Healing Center are not intended to be a substitute for conventional medical service. If you have a severe medical condition or health concern, see your physician.