Think about what you ate yesterday – breakfast, lunch, and dinner, and the snacks in between and everything you drank. Imagine if all that was blended up, left in the hot sun, and had a bacteria added for good measure. What do you think it’d smell like tomorrow? Horrible. That’s essentially what happens in your mouth if you’re not regularly cleaning it and taking the steps necessary to promote the oral health necessary to have fresh breath. Here are three of the most important practices to implement in your life to ensure your breath stays fresh.
1. Brush and Floss Daily!
Brushing and flossing are about as mandatory – and simple – as it gets. Brushing removes food particles and loose plaque. Most people overlook the process of brushing their tongue – don’t. Keeping your tongue free of plaque is one of the most effective ways at reducing bad breath, especially in the morning.   Flossing prevents plaque from developing between the teeth. Keep your mouth free of loose food particles and plaque to deny the nasty bacteria that cause mouth odor the food they need to plague you. 
2. Stay Hydrated
Your body is mostly comprised of water. Staying hydrated is one of the most basic tenants of promoting good health. When you’re dehydrated, it affects all the systems in your body, including your breath.  Staying hydrated may not be a stand alone remedy to bad breath by itself, but it encourages your body to be that much more of an environment that does not encourage bad breath.
3. Use a Mouth Rinse
Combining a mouth rinse with brushing and flossing can help you eliminate nasty bad breath. A mouth rinse mechanically cleanses your mouth of plaque and particulate matter, most also encourage saliva flow. It really just comes down to selecting the best mouth rinse. Most of the name-brands use alcohol to kill germs and bacteria. Water, or a mixture of water and hydrogen peroxide, is somewhat effective although may not provide the fresh feeling you’re after. A few drops of essential oil or mint leaves can add refreshment. 
Bonus: Try Fresh Mouth
If you’d like to annihilate bad breath even further check out Fresh Mouth. Fresh Mouth is a completely organic blend of natural ingredients in a convenient spray bottle. At work, before a meeting, or when you’re on the go and don’t have time to brush, a few squirts of Fresh Mouth can instantly freshen your mouth.
Got a quick tip for maintaining fresh breath? Leave a comment and share it with us.
- Dr. Edward F. Group III, DC, ND, DACBN, DCBCN, DABFM
- Laine ML, Slot DE, Danser MM. [Halitosis. A common problem]. Ned Tijdschr Tandheelkd. 2011 Dec;118(12):607-11.
- Faveri M, Hayacibara MF, Pupio GC, Cury JA, Tsuzuki CO, Hayacibara RM. A cross-over study on the effect of various therapeutic approaches to morning breath odour. J Clin Periodontol. 2006 Aug;33(8):555-60.
- Quirynen M, Zhao H, van Steenberghe D. Review of the treatment strategies for oral malodour. Clin Oral Investig. 2002 Mar;6(1):1-10.
- Astor FC, Hanft KL, Ciocon JO. Xerostomia: a prevalent condition in the elderly. Ear Nose Throat J. 1999 Jul;78(7):476-9.
- Thaweboon S, Thaweboon B. Effect of an essential oil-containing mouth rinse on VSC-producing bacteria on the tongue. Southeast Asian J Trop Med Public Health. 2011 Mar;42(2):456-62.