Tourmaline gemstone is a semi-precious mineral similar to granite. With colors ranging from magenta to teal-blue, meadow-green to vibrant yellow, and even black, tourmaline gets its name from the Singhalese phrase “tura mali,” which means, “stone mixed with vibrant colors.” It’s believed that no two tourmaline stones have the exact same color and it’s historically revered as a “magic” stone that is capable of protecting whoever wore it. Although it might be a stretch to say tourmaline has supernatural powers, it does have the uncommon and very special ability to generate an electric charge and emit negative ions and far infrared rays. 
What are Far Infrared Rays?
Far infrared rays are invisible waves of energy. They’re able to penetrate all layers of the human body and reach the inner-most regions of tissues, muscles and bone. Through this, far infrared rays and negative ions gently soothe, stimulate and detoxify the body and mind. Negative ions are also incredibly important in determining mood. Michael Terman, PhD, of Columbia University in New York, has researched negative ions and reports, “The action of the pounding surf creates negative air ions and we also see it immediately after spring thunderstorms when people report lightened moods.”  Additional research has shown that mood disorders may be improved just as well through negative ion generators as antidepressants — but without the negative side effects. Why? Because these ions promote oxygenation to the brain and regeneration of the blood.
The Health Benefits of Tourmaline Gemstone
Tourmaline emits far infrared radiation in the 4-14 micron wavelength. Electromagnetic radiation in the far infrared range is able to boost the immune system and promote detoxification. In fact, far infrared therapy is widely used in Japan by Kikohshi, people who heal by the laying of hands. 
Make no mistake, tourmaline is a powerful ally when your body is in need of detoxification. The far infrared rays created by tourmaline actually produce the same resonance in the body that is normally found in water. This form of resonance absorption helps relieve stress, increase alertness, stimulate circulation, and boost the immune system. Here are just a few of the powerful effects from tourmaline.
- Helps detoxification
- Supports fat loss
- Reduces water retention
- Improves circulation
- Supports the liver and kidneys
- Promotes a healthy mood
- Helps eliminate toxic metals 
- Reduces lactic acids and free fatty acids
Does Tourmaline Improve Physical or Sexual Performance?
Many professional athletes have reported great performance improvements after using therapeutic gemstones like tourmaline. Olympic swimming champion, Glen Christiansen, reportedly stated that, “The green tourmaline necklace gives me a lot of strength, and allows me to recover faster from hard workouts.” She also added, “Curiously enough, it gives me more sexual interest and power.” This isn’t the first time it’s been suggested that tourmaline may have affect sexual response. Tourmaline, which favorably influences circulation, has been reported to boost vitality and vigor in both men and women.  
Tourmaline emits far infrared rays and produces the best effects when your body is in close proximity. For that reason, tourmaline, and many energy-emitting stones, are commonly incorporated into jewelry. Some people simply keep tourmaline in their home or office so it’s energy can broadcast right into their environment. We’ve included tourmaline in our Detox Foot Pads™ to support the removal of toxins from the body. Have you used tourmaline before? What results did you experience? Please leave a comment below and share your story with us!
- Yoo BH, Park CM, Oh TJ, Han SH, Kang HH, Chang IS. Investigation of jewelry powders radiating far-infrared rays and the biological effects on human skin. J Cosmet Sci. 2002 May-Jun;53(3):175-84.
- Howard, Pierce J. The Owners Manual for the Brain: Everyday Applications from Mind Brain Research. Center for Applied Cognitive Sciences in Charlotte, N.C.
- Stavrovskaia IG, Sirota TV, Saakian IR, Kondrashova MN. [Optimization of energy-dependent processes in mitochondria from rat liver and brain after inhalation of negative air ions]. [Article in Russian] Biofizika. 1998 Sep-Oct;43(5):766-71.
- Niwa Y, Iizawa O, Ishimoto K, Jiang X, Kanoh T. Electromagnetic wave emitting products and “Kikoh” potentiate human leukocyte functions. Int J Biometeorol. 1993 Sep;37(3):133-8.
- Liu H, Wang C, Liu J, Wang B, Sun H. Competitive adsorption of Cd(II), Zn(II) and Ni(II) from their binary and ternary acidic systems using tourmaline. J Environ Manage. 2013 Oct 15;128:727-34. doi: 10.1016/j.jenvman.2013.06.024. Epub 2013 Jul 12.
- Katz, Michael. Gemstone Energy Medicine, Healing Body, Mind, and Spirit. 1995.
- Gemstone Therapy. Green Tourmaline – Empowering the Masculine. Gemstone Therapy.
†Results may vary. Information and statements made are for education purposes and are not intended to replace the advice of your doctor. Global Healing Center does not dispense medical advice, prescribe, or diagnose illness. The views and nutritional advice expressed by Global Healing Center are not intended to be a substitute for conventional medical service. If you have a severe medical condition or health concern, see your physician.